P: The One Holy Father, who created the world in His mercy, is with us. C: Amen P: The One Holy Son, who saved it by His precious passion, is with us. C: Amen P: The One Living Holy Spirit, who makes perfect and fulfills all that is and that has been, is with us. May the name of the Lord be blessed as in the beginning, both now and forever. C: Amen (Taken from the Order of Worship for Holy Qurbana)
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
Last month we meditated on the lifting up of the ‘Paten’ and the ‘Chalice.’ This month’s thoughts are the continuation of last month’s thoughts. Based on the above liturgical prayers, let us ponder on the following thoughts:
Assurance of the Presence of Triune God in the life of believers The above prayers not only remind us the work and deeds of the Triune God – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit – but also assure us of their presence with us. God the creator is with us; Jesus Christ who redeemed and saved us through His death on cross is with us; and Holy Spirit who makes perfect and fulfills is with us. Triune God is ever present and active in creation. God abides in His creation.
It is very difficult to comprehend God, as we are mortals and have limits, whereas God is immortal and infinite. But God has been, and is still, revealing himself in different ways. God reveals himself in and through his creation. God, who is the creator of this universe, is also the sustainer and the redeemer. The whole creation reveals God’s glory (Rom.1:20; Psa.19:1; 8:3-4 Col.1:15). It was God who redeemed the world out of His love towards the universe in allowing His own beloved Son to die on the cross. In Christ, God has revealed himself. St. Paul says, “God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has condemned to us the word of reconciliation (2Cor.2:19).”
In participating in the Holy Qurbana, we participate in the Christ Event – i.e. in the birth, ministry, passion, death on the cross, resurrection, and His coming again. While saying the prayers, the Celebrant holds the Paten and Chalice in the form of the cross. In the Holy Qurbana, various symbols, such as paten, chalice, bread, wine, candles, censer, veil and cross are being used. These symbols represent divine invisible realities. These symbols point to the deep
truths of Christian faith. The cross is the symbol of redemption and the love of God. In holding the paten and chalice in the form of the cross, we are reminded that God has graciously redeemed and saved us by the sacrificial death of Jesus on cross. Believers ought to remember that death of Christ on the cross is central to our faith in Christ Jesus.
St. Paul says that if Christ had not died for us, we would still living in our sins. Crucifixion and death on cross were considered as the cruelest form of execution and punishment in Roman Empire. But, due to the fact that Jesus accepted and died on the cross, the cross has become the symbol of love and redemption. In accepting the cross and dying on it, Jesus took up the curse on himself – the curse that was actually was on humanity, because of the disobedience of Adam and Eve (Rom.5:1ff). Cross also promises us the abundant life in Christ Jesus.
St. Paul says that Jesus was obedient and humbled himself to die on cross to redeem humanity (Phil.2:4ff). The Triune God – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit – are not three Gods, but one true God. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit cannot be separated from each other. There is an inseparable unity among the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are co-existing and are mutually indwelling. The presence of Father is the presence of the Son and the Holy Spirit. The presence of the Son is the presence of the Father and the Holy Spirit. And presence of the Holy Spirit is the presence of the Father and the Son.
The Holy Spirit is the life-giving spirit. It is the Spirit of God that hovered over the surface of the waters when the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of deed. The Spirit of God was active in the creation of the universe. The Holy Spirit fulfils the God’s created order. Genesis 2:7 says, “Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being.” The Psalmist says “You send forth Your Spirit, they were created and You renew the face of the ground (Psa.104:30).” The Holy Spirit is the giver and the sustainer, and also instills in us new life in Christ Jesus (Gen.1:2; 2:7, Psa. 104:3; Ezek. 37:1-14; 36:26-28. The Holy Spirit sanctifies us and enable us to be like Christ Jesus; the Holy Spirit also enables us to lead a fruitful life (Gal5:22-23; 25; Jn.6:63; 14:17; 16:13; 1 Cor. 6:11; 2 Cor.3:18; Rom.14:16-17; 1 Pet.1:2). Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit as life giving water.
In the celebration and in the participation in the Holy Communion we are therefore assured of the biding presence of Triune God who is the creator, sustainer, and redeemer of the world. Let us experience that divine presence, and worship the True God in spirit and truth.
May God keep us in His Warm and comforting Embrace, Rev. Shinoi Joseph Vicar
• Little Blessings Ministry (Nursery-2nd) and Junior Blessings (3rd&4th) will be held on all Sunday’s at 9:00AM • Leadership tracks & College Tracks (5th grade and up) will be held on English Sundays at 9am and Malayalam Sundays at 9:50 am after the divine service • Junior Senior Conference will be held from Thursday, July 7th – Sunday, July 10th at Ramapo College, NJ for children Grades 5 and up • VBS will take place from July 12th - 17th. All students and parents of students in Sunday School from grades pre-k - 10th grade are encouraged to register o Registration fee is $25 till July 10th and then will increase. Registration will take place in the auditorium lobby every Sunday immediately after service. Contact Benson Babu, Blessy Thomas, or Jibu Abraham with any questions
Weekly Bible Study classes will be held every Thursday at 7:30PM at the church
Edavaka Mission Activities
Thoma Voluntary Evangelist's Association was found by our late
Metropolitan Most Rev. Abraham Mar Thoma out of his strong conviction
that each Mar Thomite is an Evangelist. Evangelism
is the utmost mission of this Organization. The Parish level unit is
known as the Edavaka Mission and at the Long Island Mar Thoma Church,
New York, we give stress to the seven fold activities such as
Intercessory Prayer, Bible Study, Sharing of Experience, House Visit,
Visiting the Sick, Group Activities etc
Edavaka Mission regular
meetings are conducted every Thursday at 7.30 PM at the Church as well
as Members' houses with prior announcement at the Parish on Sundays.
Fasting Prayer meetings are conducted once every month at the members' houses either the last Saturdays or Thursdays depending upon members and Achen's
convenience with prior announcement at the Parish on Sundays.
Edavaka Mission also support various Mission projects such as sponsorship of students at St. Thomas School,
Visakhapatanam, India. Sponsoraship of an Evangelist in India. Medical
and financial aid to different individuals and families based on
requests received by Achen time to time. Edavaka Mission welcomes
donations from members for the above mentioned activities and
sponsorship. For details, please contact our Achen Rev. A. B. Binu, Mr.
Mammen Samuel or Achamma Jacob.
• Youth Fellowship will have a meeting and a BBQ on July 1st at the church at 7pm. All youths are encouraged to attend.
• Youth Retreat will take place from July 22nd - July 24th at Refreshing Mountains, Pennsylvania. All youth members from ages 13-35 are encouraged to register and attend. Registration will take place every Sunday in church immediately after service in the auditorium lobby and the cost will be $120, which includes food, transportation, activities and youth fellowship dues. For registration contact Blessy or Roshin Thomas and any questions, contact a YF committee member
YOUNG FAMILY FELLOWSHIP • YFF will be having a career day collaboration event with the Youth Fellowship on Saturday, July 30th, from 9:30AM-12:30PM at the church o This will be an opportunity for the members of the Young Family’s fellowship and the youth league to come together and discuss concerns or any questions the youth may have about career choices that may help them when they make decisions on which path they choose to take. High school youth and above are welcome to join. BBQ lunch will be served o Please contact Sabu Abraham or Gina Shobin with any question regarding this event.
• Monthly cottage prayer meeting will be held on Saturday, July 16th, at 6:30PM at the residence of: Mr. & Mrs. Jibi P. Mathew 315 Andres Rd. Mineola, NY 11501
• SAMSON AT SIGHT AND SOUND THEATERS! o Show Time: Friday, July 29th at 2:45PM o Experience this Bible story in jaw-dropping scale as it's brought to life by a world-class cast, spectacular special effects and live animals. It's an unforgettable, uplifting thrill ride that literally brings the house down!